Friday, July 18, 2014

Black Sheep Grilled Cheese Bar & Hans' Homemade Ice Cream (Anaheim) 7.17.14

My friend, Hong, came down to visit from the Bay Area so we decided to grab a bite at the Packing House.  It had been a couple weeks since I had been and last time, my friends had gotten delicious looking grilled cheese sandwiches from the Black Sheep Grilled Cheese Bar so we decided to check it out this time.




Yes, there's an actual black sheep on the counter. 

Black Sheep is "a division of the Cellar" which is a local cheese focused collective.  If you want just a regular grilled cheese, you can check out the "Classic," but their simple menu allows for some branching out from the traditional cheddar & swiss as well: 
Menu of Gluten-Dairy goodness

Oh yeah, I suppose I should mention that generally I'm not a big gluten-dairy indulger, but well, go big or go home in this case.  Let's get to the food. 

"The Man" Salami (lots of it) & Cheese on Sourdough

I tried a bite of "The Man" and it was salty goodness, especially if you like a lot of salami to your cheese.  My friend, who likes things on the spicy side, said she could have used some jalapeño to give it some kick, but if simple, meaty sandwiches are your thing, it's a good choice.  Our server at the counter recommended pairing with Coke (in a glass bottle because it's fancy), an indication that this was the traditional side of the menu. 

#1: Cypress Grove fromage blanc, caramelized onions, roasted tomatoes, arugula pesto

This was my sandwich and it was AMAZING! It was honestly the best grilled cheese I've probably ever had AND I'm not even a fan of goat cheese.  (When I looked at the menu, I hadn't realized that Cypress Grove specialized in chèvre so I wasn't expecting a goat milk cheese, but that's what I got so I decided to go with it)  The fromage blanc is mild and flavors blend together well on the marble bread.  Seriously, as soon as I got home and despite my fullness, I wanted to run down the street and get another one.  It's that good. 

Since I had decided it was gluten and dairy night, it was time to head over to Hans' Homemade Ice Cream where I sampled several flavors: Cookies & Cream, Mocha Almond Fudge, Honey Vanilla and Wild Mountain Blackberry: 



I settled on a waffle cone single scoop split between the Honey Vanilla and the Wild Mountain Blackberry: 
Pro-tip: At Hans' you can split a single scoop between two flavors (the honey vanilla's at the bottom of this cone--and yes, that's the size of a single scoop! They're really generous with the scoops)

Definitely an indulgent Americana night with a hipster twist!  I'm sure I'll be back at both of these places again soon.  Maybe I will see you there! (Hint, hint, friends--come visit me!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment