Friday, August 8, 2014

Willy's Eatery (Anaheim) 8.8.14

I was looking around on yelp for some breakfast spots to meet a friend and I noticed that Willy's Eatery had reopened after the owners had returned from a brief Greek vacation which afforded me the opportunity to FINALLY try this tiny eatery behind a car wash in a strip mall on Ball Road.  I have to admit that I came in with high expectations.  Willy's has a 4.5 star rating on yelp, over 200 reviews, and boasts the best Eggs Benedict (my favorite classic breakfast dish) as named by Orange Coast magazine in 2010.  So, I came hungry and ready to dig into some great food.

Eggs Benedict with "Those Potatoes"

Of course, I ordered the Eggs Benedict with a side of those potatoes which were hash browns with onions & green peppers.  Before I get into the food, the shop itself is such a charming mom-and-pop hole in the wall.  Ann, the matron of Willy's took our order, asked if it was our first time and brought over drinks and silverware.  It really felt as if she was welcoming us into her home. 

Now, onto the food review.  The ham and the eggs of the Benedict were both really good.  Instead of slapping a piece of cold ham onto the English muffin, the ham (which was a hearty chunk of really good quality ham) had been grilled before being placed on the bread, so that the edges of the ham were just slightly crispy.  The eggs were poached medium, so there wasn't a runny yolk, but it wasn't over poached.  I wasn't the biggest fan of the hollandaise itself, however, but it may just be my personal preference on hollandaise.  I prefer hollandaise that is lighter with a bit of citrus to brighten it.  This hollandaise was very traditional and a little bland.  Overall, a very respectable Benedict, but not the best I've ever had.  Those potatoes were nice and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside with a nice onion and pepper blend.  And, there was a TON of food.  I really couldn't eat it all and I had come in hungry. 

I also got to try the baklava: 

Walnut Baklava

The baklava was really good, particularly if you like walnuts.  I have to confess that I'm more of a pistachio baklava kinda girl, but this baklava was really, really good.  The texture of the phyllo layers and the nutty sweet goodness was incredible.  Definitely a must have for walnut & baklava fans. 

I definitely want to come back for lunch at Willy's to try their Lemon Chicken Soup (a favorite of mine) and Greek specialities, especially since it's so close to home and feels so homey.  I'm sure I'll write another review of the lunch specials as well. Happy weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment