Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Brew Hawg (Orange) 8.12.14

I love good BBQ and I've been eating around my neighborhood a lot so when we had an out of town guest, we decided to branch out and search for something new on yelp.  My search led me to a little hole-in-the-wall BBQ spot called Brew Hawg.  From reading the reviews and looking at the website, Brew Hawg seems mostly to have been a catering and to-go establishment that now also serves to a small dining area of 4 indoor tables (16 seats) and 2 outdoor tables.

Brew Hawg has a variety of sandwiches as well as BBQ plates, an assortment of sides, kids' plates and non-alcoholic beverages (no alcohol in the restaurant as of yet) including fresh brewed root beer (which is delicious!).  With 3 adults and an 8-year old, we got a fair sample of some of their most popular dishes and a majority of their sides.

Kids' hot dog with fries

So, at the last bbq place I went to, they didn't have any kid options on the menu in case kids don't like barbecue sauce.  While I love bbq, my kid doesn't so it was nice that in addition to kids sliders (2 small sliders with a choice of meat and a side), they have the hot dog and grilled cheese options (which also come with a side).  And, the portion on the kids hot dog was huge.  The dog had to be at least 1/3 a pound (way bigger than my son could finish) and a ton of fries.  It doesn't come with a drink, but there are kid-friendly drinks like lemonade and root beer (and an assortment of canned sodas, bottled water, etc.) that can be added on if you like. 

"The Duke": Pulled Pork w/ Mac & Cheese on Texas Toast (with a side)

My friend, Mike, decided to try "the Duke," one of Brew Hawg's most popular sandwiches which combines a healthy serving of bbq pulled pork with mac & cheese and puts it in between two slices of  Texas toast (he got an extra side of mac and cheese for good measure).  I tried a bit of this and it was AMAZING.  I actually really loved the Texas toast in combination with the creaminess of the mac and cheese and the sweet savoriness of the pork.  I tried the mac and cheese on its own and had the pork as part of my BBQ plate and while both were tasty alone, the whole of the Duke is even better than its individual consistent parts. 

The "Standard": Choice of Meat with cranberry peanut slaw on a bun
& a side of coconut creamed corn

So, this was my husband's dish and he got the vegan option which uses a vegan meat substitute.  I tried a little bit, but I'm not a fan of vegan meat.  More importantly though, he liked it, and, it is AWESOME to have a BBQ place near my home that EVERYONE in my family can eat at (with my husband not resorting to a meal of only sides)! It was a happy day.  I really liked the slaw which had a lot of depth to it with the sweet tart of the cranberry, the nuttiness of the peanut.  Normally, I'm not a mayonnaise based slaw fan, but it was really good, especially in the sandwich. I could definitely see myself chowing down on a pulled pork version of the Standard.  My husband chose the coconut creamed corn which was really good (if you like coconut) and really unique. 

BBQ Heaven: 2 meats, 2 sides, bread and bliss 
(literally, that's what the menu reads!)

Finally, I went for the bbq plate with pulled pork, tri-tip, baked beans and potato salad which comes with a square of cornbread.  The cornbread was a little dry, the potato salad was fine, but a little bland (I like mine with a bit more tang), and the beans were good, but also could have used a bit more nuance in the flavor.  The meat itself was good.  The tri-tip was a little chewy, but the pulled pork was really delicious and I like their sauce, which is not too sweet, but has a good blend of hickory and spices.  And there was more than enough for lunch today.  I think next time I'll probably do the brisket & tri-tip and maybe change up the sides or go for a sandwich, but there will definitely be a next time. 

Random final notes: Again, despite the "brew" in the name, Brew Hawg doesn't brew alcohol, but has DELICIOUS root beer.  The service is great.  While the staff may not be at the front of the house when you walk in, if you just call out a "hello," someone will come to meet you right away, will explain the menu if it's your first time and if you're eating in will check and make sure everything's okay.  I'm excited to have found Brew Hawg and am glad to support such a nice local business that's close to home.  



No comments:

Post a Comment