Monday, August 11, 2014

Umami Burger (Anaheim) 8.10.14

After returning from my short trip to San Diego with the family, I got to go out with a couple of my girlfriends for dinner.  We wanted a place with good food, a full bar, where we could hear one another within walking distance from my space.  On the weekend, that pretty much meant the packing house was out (it's got great food options, but to have real conversation and a drink with dinner, was a taller order.  So, we just walked over to Umami Burger.  

I'm a fan of Umami Burger and this location in particular, since it is my child's favorite restaurant in the world (What can I say? He's the child of a foodie) and lately, though the food and service are always consistently good, I've been feeling in a little bit of an umami rut.  So, it was really nice to come with my friends who haven't been to Umami before.  



FYI on the drinks, we each had a black razz mojito which was really refreshing and not overly sugary which is really nice.  It wasn't particularly strong and didn't taste like alcohol, but it was yummy. I probably wouldn't have splurged on yummy at $12 a drink if I wasn't with friends, but they also do a late night and 3-6 Happy Hour where signature cocktails are $8.  (Note: I've also had Rico Suave which was stronger and is also good) 

So, onto the food: 

 House Pickle Plate

Okay, so I never would have ordered this plate, but one of my friends loves pickles so she had to try it.  Top (L--> R): Pickles, beets, teriyaki mushrooms; Bottom: Snap peas, carrots, sweet/spicy peppers.  It was actually pretty good though.  I am not a beet fan, the snap peas/ peppers were a little spicy and the carrots were a little weird texturally for me, but I really liked the mushrooms and the pickles themselves.  The pickles were crunchy with great flavor that wasn't overwhelming at all.  The mushrooms were a little sweet and delicious.  

Thin Fries 

Sweet Potato Fries

Umami Sauces

I like Umami potatoes and sauces.  We went with the thin fries & sweet potato fries although usually I end up getting the smushed potatoes. (I was having a thin fry craving) Umami does potatoes well and serves them with a trio of: garlic aioli, diablo sauce & jalapeño ranch as well as a bottle of their special umami ketchup.  The aioli was a little off last night, but is usually my favorite with the ketchup a close second.  Fries were hot and crispy; sweet potato fries were sweet, crunchy and caramelized. Not much else to say here except well cooked potatoes = happiness.  

The Original

So, I am a sucker for the Original which is an umami patty (they grind their own sirloin for the patty) with a parmesan crisp, roasted tomato, shiitake mushroom on their house bun, prepared medium.  Juicy, umami goodness.  I love this burger.  

My friend had the green bird without cheese and said it was amazing (my other friend also had the original, but couldn't finish hers because there's a good chunk of meat on the burger).  I've also had the ahi tuna burger which I love when I'm a little burnt out on red meat.  My husband gets the Sloppy Mami (a vegetarian sloppy joe) whenever we come here as a family and FYI, for families, the kids meal here (slider, side & a drink) prices out to be about the same as a kids meal at IHOP with a drink ($8:  Seriously, no contest on taste). 

I have 9 Yelp Check-Ins at Umami Burger and that only counts the number of times I remember to check in here, so yeah, definitely a fan and hope you will be too.  Happy Eating! 

No comments:

Post a Comment