Monday, August 11, 2014

Snooze (Hillcrest, San Diego) 8.10.14

Okay, so, I didn't try everything, but based on my meal, the look of everyone else's meal AND the fact that I had a 1.5 hour wait, the summary is this: Snooze is AMAZING. I don't even like brunch that much and it was completely worth every minute of the wait. Yum. So yummy. If you're in the area, go to Snooze, even if you have to go to a nearby coffee shop or grab a jamba juice while you're waiting.  It is so good.

So, here's the food, but I'm just going to talk about what I actually ate (I was there with friends and picking off most of your friends' plates is just uncouth...):

Breakfast Pot Pie: Rosemary Sausage Gravy over puffed pastry topped with a sunny side up egg with a side of hash browns

3 eggs anyway (in this case scrambled with mushrooms & spinach), hashbrowns & a sweet potato pancake (topped with ginger butter & caramel)

Snoooze Spuds Deluxe: Hash browns with cheddar & jack cheese & choice of two toppings (in this case, tofu & spinach) 

Kids Pancake platter (with plain pancake, fruit & hash brown)

So, before we get to my dish, I just want to say that everyone was happy with their plate and I really appreciated Snooze's philosophy of custom creations so everyone gets what they want.  Normally the three egg plate comes with toast, but my friend subbed a pancake, my husband could get something that was meat & egg-less. My kid got fruit that was not defrosted melon & grapes (I love good melon, but a "fruit cup" at a lot of breakfast places. Ugh, gross.  Real berries--YUM).  Happy.  Really happy. 

Caprese Benedict: Summer ripe heirloom tomatoes tossed with pesto, cream cheese hollandaise over poached egg over mozzarella on toasted ciabatta bread with a drizzle of balsamic reduction & house hash browns.  

Holy Mother of breakfast.  This was AMAZING.  Literally, one of the best breakfasts I've had in recent memory. I loved the cream cheese hollandaise.  You could definitely taste a bit of cream cheese, but mostly it added richness to a mild hollandaise.  The balsamic & tomatoes added a little acidity.  The eggs were perfect, the mozzarella had just the right firmness and the ciabatta was the perfect toasty bread layer.  The pesto was light and didn't overwhelm the natural sweetness of the heirlooms.  And those hash browns, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.  Great to mop up some of the residual hollandaise & egg yolk.  Yum x infinity.  I could eat this every other day of summer (with a day in between for some type of juice cleanse that would allow me to digest the richness of this breakfast). So, so good. 

Service was good and friendly.  Food was fantastic.  Wait was lengthy, but worth it.  Try Snooze.   


No comments:

Post a Comment