Saturday, September 6, 2014

Burger City Grill (Downey) 9.5.14

So, a funny thing happened in the last 3 weeks.  The semester began, effectively ending my joyous summer romp through new dining adventures.  It's not that I haven't been eating, but I've been relying on the restaurants I know, eating a ton of take out and sometimes resorting to really ugly food (seriously, two weeks ago, I brought 2 slices of ham with a slice of cheese and some rice crackers for lunch at one of my school sites--it was the ugliest thing I've eaten in a long time. Tasty, but not photo worthy.

But, last night, my brother was in town so we decided to stop by downtown Downey for some delicious burger goodness at Burger City Grill.  I had sent him the website to preview the menu a week earlier when we were deciding where to go and he said, "I hear my arteries clogging already! EXCELLENT!" A pretty accurate assessment of the menu.

Burger City Grill (BCG for short) specializes in hand-made burgers from certified angus beef.  Their menu is simple and you can sub any burger with a turkey of veggie patty, but we are all about the beef so we ordered a City Slicker (Applewood smoked bacon, Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce) with cheese and an Aloha (Applewood smoked bacon, teriyaki glaze and fresh grilled pineapple slices).  All the burgers also come with BCG spread (their version of 1000 island), dill pickle chips, roma tomatoes, leaf lettuce and red onions on a bun. We also decided on an order of Sloppy Fries (chili cheese fries) and BCG Fries (Bacon, Cheese--I got Cheddar, and Grilled Onions w BCG Spread) and two sodas.

City Slicker with Sloppy Fries
My brother's order was the City Slicker (no tomato, add cheese--I don't actually remember what cheese he got, but you can choose from American, Cheddar, Swiss, Pepper Jack, Provolone & Bleu cheese) with Sloppy Fries.  Since I didn't try his burger I can't say much about it, but I did try the fries.  The chili was tasty and very meaty (no bean, all meat homemade chili) and because they use a thicker cut on their fries, they still held up consistency under the pile of chili and cheese.

Aloha Burger with BCG Fries & Pickles on the side
This was my order.  Here's a closer pic of my burger:

Aloha burger close-up (so you can see the bacon & pineapple--YUM)
When I saw my meal, I felt compelled to tweet and IG "Fatty Heaven" and well, it's true, but hey, you only live once.  I loved my Aloha Burger and BCG Fries.  While the burger was probably a bit more well done than I would have liked, the meat was still really juicy and tasty; the pineapple was well-grilled and copious; and the bacon was perfectly cooked on both the burger and fries--not overly crispy so you can't taste the delicious smokiness, but also not soggy so you feel like you're eating bacon grease.  Everything was held together by a tasty house bun.  An awesome burger and super filling.  In fact, so filling that I couldn't finish the AMAZING BCG Fries.  Seriously, these were some fantastic fries.  If you like loaded baked potatoes, it's a lot like that with a little grilled onion and sauce. So, so tasty.  I brought them home and even rewarmed this morning, my son and husband cleaned them all up (and seriously most fries are disgusting rewarmed the next day).

Oh, and as an added bonus, there's a Coke Freestyle Machine.  I don't usually drink a lot of soda, but I had to try the machine: 

Coca-Cola Freestyle Machine
I got a Cherry Coke, not like a Cherry Coke that you get in cans, like the perfect blend of coke syrup, cherry syrup, and soda water.  It seriously tasted like I got it from a soda fountain.  I kinda wish I liked soda more so I could revel in the awesomeness of this machine.  For non-soda drinkers, there's also passion fruit iced tea, hand-schooled shakes and craft beers.

Can't wait to come back here with my husband and son (BCG Kids meal--burger & fries for $5) when we're on this side of town (or when I have a Porto's craving...but I'll talk about that in the next blog post....)





No comments:

Post a Comment